Whether they’re navigating the shift from a teller-centric to an app-centric banking experience…worrying that retiring at 70 may not possible…or shouldering college, health, and senior-care costs… people are facing a wealth of concerns unimagined when they opened their first accounts.
They know how to create a budget and balance a checkbook, and they may have investments and savings, but how do they manage financial challenges safely and conveniently?
That’s where you come in. We are looking to you to create easy, accessible solutions that will help Baby Boomers and others budget for caregiving, work independently, and protect their loved ones from financial exploitation.
With more than $15,000 in prizes, this two-day San Francisco Hackathon will bring together developers, designers and entrepreneurs from all over to work on solutions for the future of finance.
- Cash Prize: $8,000
- A session to meet with the U.S. Bank and AARP team leaders to speak about your product
- Cash Prize: $5,000
2nd Runner-Up Prize:
- Cash Prize: $2,000
Best Use of IBM Watson:
- Oculus Rift VR Headset, estimated value $375
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo, estimated value $75
Both prizes awarded to each member of a single winning team.
- 2 pairs of Jaybird – Freedom F5 Wireless In-Ear Headphones
The challenge for the “Hack Your Tomorrow” Hackathon is simple: develop smart, intuitive tools that will give users greater control over their finances and peace of mind. Design ideas could include solutions focused on at least one of the following…
- Enable independent workers to manage their incomes and tax liabilities easily and automatically
- Help people on a limited income save money, even if in small amounts
- Allow caregivers to track their expenses and share them with others involved in the relationship or conduct transactions, such as bill payments
- Make it easier to recognize and prevent financial exploitation of seniors
Challenge: Best use of IBM Watson
To win the Best Use of Watson prize the winning team has to use one or more IBM Watson or Bluemix Services in an innovative, disruptive and masterful way. Judging will be according to the following criteria:
- Inclusion – How many IBM Watson or IBM Bluemix services were included in the solution? (0-5 points)
- Creativity – Were the IBM Watson or Bluemix Services used in a novel way? (0-5 points)
- Impact – How significantly did the IBM Watson or Bluemix Services contribute to the impact of the solution? (0-5 points).
Wednesday, October 4th:
Time: 6:30-8:30 pm PDT
Pre-U.S. Bank/AARP “Hack Your Tomorrow” Pre-Hackathon Webinar
Webex link: Here!
Meeting Number: 629 924 745
Video address:Dial firstname.lastname@example.org
Audio connection: +1-510-338-9438 USA Toll
Access code: 629 924 745
Saturday, October 7th:
8:00 am Event and Partner setup
9:00 am Doors Open & Breakfast
10:00 am Opening Ceremony & Presentations
11:00 am Coding Begins
12:00 pm Lunch
1:00 pm Breakout Session(s): IBM Bluemix APIs & U.S. Bank’s APIs
6:00 pm Dinner
10:00 pm Pitch Workshop
12:00 am Midnight Snack
12:00 – 8:00am Hack through the night*
*The venue will be open and staffed overnight if you’d like to hack through the night.
Sunday, October 8th:
7:00 am Breakfast
12:00 pm Lunch
1:00 pm Submission Deadline
2:00 pm Demo’s Begin
3:00 pm Judge Deliberation
3:30 pm Awards
4:00 pm Event Close
Each submission will be scored in each round based on the following criteria with a minimum score of 0 and maximum score of 20 points, with the final score being the average of the judges’ scores:
Simplicity (5 points):
Is the application simple to use and can the team explain it clearly in three sentences or less?
Creativity (5 points):
How creative was the team in developing an innovative solution for the challenge?
Impact (5 points):
Did the team create an application that can have a real and valuable impact?
Design (5 points):
Was the UX/UI intuitive and appealing? Does the app demonstrates high throughput design architecture.